New year, new banana bread. We are starting to write new chapters of our lives, everything is about to change, to improve. And that is great! I am happy that many of us decided to start (or continue) eating healthy in the new year, because we want to feel better, have more energy and feel healthier on the inside and out.
New year resolutions. What are your resolutions? how are you going to better yourself this year? Though I do believe in having resolutions every day and not just waiting for the 1st of January, I’m no different than anybody else! I also started my own detox after all the overeating during Christmas and new year celebrations. But in my opinion, detox doesn’t mean starving or restricting ourselves. I enjoy detoxing my body by simply eating whole plant-based foods like I normally do (well…70% of the time).
Food doesn’t have to lack in taste in order to be healthy or at least healthy-er. You can make all the amazing, rich meals in a healthier version so that when you overeat (you see how I wrote when, and not if ha-ha) you don’t feel sick and guilty. And even though it’s January and we are on a health kick, we can still enjoy delicious sweet desserts!
Here, ladies and gentlemen, I give an easy recipe for deliciously moist chocolate banana bread! It is an absolute treat for a chocolate lover or a healthy sweet breakfast with a cup of tea. You can eat it on its own as is, or serve it in many different ways. Drizzling caramel sauce on top or just fresh berries being two great ideas for serving this chocolaty goodness.
Perfect chocolaty banana bread that is moist, super sweet and plant-based! It can be quick out the door breakfast, impressive dessert or great to have with your afternoon tea.
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed also known as flaxseed meal
- 6 tbsp warm water
- 300 grams flour I use half oat and half spelt flour
- 40 grams cocoa powder
- 60 grams coconut sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla sugar
- 60 grams coconut oil melted
- 4 ripe bananas
- First, preheat your oven to 165°C (330°F) and lightly grease loaf baking pan with coconut oil
- Prepare flax egg by combining ground flaxseed with warm water and set aside to let it thicken
- Next, mash bananas with a fork or blend them in a blender
- In a big bowl combine together all dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking soda, and baking powder. Whisk till everything is well combined
- In another bowl whisk together mashed bananas, coconut oil, vanilla extract and flax egg
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and slowly mix them together with a spatula to form a wet thick dough. Don’t overmix
- Pour the dough into baking pan and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour depending on your oven. Check at 50-minute mark with a toothpick, if it comes out clean the bread is done.
- Take the banana bread out of the oven and leave it in the pan for another 5-10 minutes to cool slightly before taking it out on a wire rack