Vegan and naturally gluten-free mushroom gravy, perfect for topping your next pasta meal, rice, polenta (my personal favorite) or just about anything!
Oh hi there, I’ve missed writing here so much! These past few weeks, I’ve been crazy busy writing my thesis for diploma because I’m an ultimate procrastinator and leave all the work to the very last minute. But it’s over so I’m about to devote all my time to Tinsyfit. Get ready for some delicious and fit recipes coming to your way people!
Starting with this all-time favorite and oh so versatile mushroom sauce! It is cooked in minutes, requires minimal ingredients, is super CREAMY and RICH and SO GOOOOOOD! So, I can’t name this just ordinary mushroom pasta sauce. Why? Well, because it is that amazing that you can use it in all sort of meals.
The first time I made this creamy deliciousness was when I had polenta and didn’t know what to serve it with…and just like that, randomly my new favorite mushroom sauce was born. Completely plant-based, very flavorful, good for you, packed with vitamins, nutrients, and healthy fats. It even hides some crunch in there from the walnuts!
If you like mushrooms, you have to try this sauce! So do me a favor, go buy some mushrooms, cook up some pasta, or rice, or polenta, or lentils…(you see what I mean by how crazy versatile this sauce is?) and pour this creamy goodness on top! It pairs perfectly with anything.
Okay so, do you like mushrooms? Certainly, you do since you are reading this recipe post about the mushroom sauce right. Congratulations, by eating mushrooms you receive an abundance of important nutrients, such as B vitamins, minerals, and numerous health benefits. Mushrooms are very beneficial for anemic patients, as they are a good source of iron, which is an essential mineral for production of red blood cells and for overall strong health support, plus they contain copper, which further increases the absorption of iron. They also contain certain elements that are effective in preventing cancer, particularly breast and prostate cancer! How about that for healthy, huh.
Besides the incredible health benefits, this vegan mushroom sauce is also:
- very easy and quick to make
- low in carbs
- your next favorite polenta topping!
Let’s start cooking this bad boy, shall we! Oh, wait! Can you imagine this sauce over potatoes?? Yum! I tried it over mashed sweet potatoes already and it’s just so perfect. Combo made in food heaven.Print
Recipe for your next favorite mushroom sauce. It is completely vegan, gluten-free, rich and creamy with some crunchiness from walnuts. Full of flavor and health benefits, this mushroom sauce is made in just 10 minutes and works great on top of pasta, polenta, rice, potatoes or absolutely anything you wish to pair it with.
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 garlic clove or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 250 grams chopped mushrooms
- 100 ml tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp full-fat coconut milk from the can
- small handful of walnuts
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sautee finely chopped onion on a little bit of olive oil or water for oil-free version. When translucent add crushed garlic and cook for another minute before adding chopped mushrooms.
- Cook the mushroom until they start to sweat and the water evaporates. After about 3 minutes, when the mushrooms start to brown a little bit pour in the tomato sauce and season with thyme, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Leave the sauce to bubble on low to medium-high heat for another 2 minutes before stiring in the coconut milk.
- Finish up with chopped walnuts and serve with pasta, on top of polenta, rice or any other grain you prefer.
This sauce needs to be eaten right away as you shouldn’t reheat the mushrooms.
Keywords: vegan, gluten-free, mushroom, sauce, gravy, healthy, fit
ARE YOU A FAN OF PINTEREST? FELL FREE TO PIN THIS PHOTO FOR NEXT TIME YOU MAKE THE RECIPE!